Saturday, September 08, 2012

BookMarks Festival

Because I am a book lover, it's not too much of a stretch for me to get really excited about the BookMarks Festival. I first attended several years ago and then was unable to attend due to SETC. The past couple of years Mallorie and I made the pilgrimage. Since she wasn't going to be with me this year, I decided to volunteer. I especially wanted to work the Book Signing tent, which would give me a chance to meet some authors.

Now this was the first time that I didn't really know any of the headlining authors. I arrived to the festival early so I could spend time in the the Wake Forest Bookstore to peruse the books and get educated on the festival authors. I bought One Sunday Morning by Amy Ephron, as the book she was actually here to promote was a pre-order. Gillian Flynn was promoting Gone Girl, Now I don't usually pay full price for books. I borrow them from the library or purchase via Amazon. Gone Girl was a $25 book that really didn't sound that interesting from the cover. Not having read Gillian's other books I was very hesitant. I did overhear two ladies talking about Sharp Objects and after reading the backcover, I was intrigued. I decided to purchase that one and have her sign it.

Here I am with Gillian Flynn. She had one of the longest book-signing lines and she was very gracious with everyone. She stayed past her time to make sure everyone got their booked signed.

No comments: