Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I got a call from the Guilford Animal Shelter yesterday. A volunteer who was particularily fond of Ned was asking for an update. I emailed her and she replied, almost immediately.

From: Cheryl Ann
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:01 PM
To: Susan
Subject: Ned

Susan

My son, Cade, and I adopted Ned on Sunday. Cade wanted a Husky and was immediately drawn to Ned.

I cannot tell you how happy we are with him. He is so very gentle and loving. Cade is 9 and can walk Ned by himself because he minds the leash so well. And the two of them love playing ball! After Cade goes to bed, Ned lays in my lap, keeping me warm while I read on the couch.

Ned wasn’t eating, so I brought him to the vet yesterday. He has some gum inflammation and a bit of a bug (something to do with bird poo). We’re giving him meds and in a couple of weeks will get him a good teeth cleaning. The vet was just as taken with Ned and also agreed that Ned is a very special dog.

I’ve really no idea why he was in the shelter for so long, but we’re very lucky that he was. Our family really is thrilled to have him.

From: Susan
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:18 PM
To: Cheryl Ann
Subject: RE: Ned

Hi Cheryl Ann,

Thanks so very much for sending me this wonderful news about Ned. I have been volunteering at the Shelter for 2 ½ years, and I have to say that Ned is one of my all time favorites. I am there Monday – Friday from noon – 3:00 and Ned was always my first dog out…he REALLY “holds it” and did not want a messy kennel. Over the months, I came to discover what a playful yet loving dog he is. He will be busy fetching the tennis ball one minute and the next minute he will sit nice as can be and soak in the love as I was caressing his cheeks. I prayed for a loving home for him, with a family that would truly appreciate him just as he is. Your note below tells me that my prayers have been answered and I can stop worrying about him. As to why he was there so long, it is really hard to say. I like to think that he was just waiting for his true family to find him. If you get a chance to send a picture of Ned in his new home and with his new family that would be fabulous. This is the stuff that keeps us volunteers going. May God bless you all and please give Ned a big hug from me.

p.s. The bird  poo was probably on a ball in one of the pens, though Ned is picky and didn’t like to pick up the dirty balls…what a great dog!

No comments: