Sunday, May 15, 2011

Tonight's Feature


The play came to my attention in 2006 when Cynthia Nixon won a Tony for the role of Becca. I read the play shortly thereafter and immediately fell in love with it. I wish I could say the same about this movie.

I'm baffled over why John Cameron Mitchell chose to set particularly intimate scenes in public venues. A bowling alley? A cold, dank basement? A public park? I mean, really??? Mallorie also felt those scenes lost their power in the wide open spaces.

I'm still trying to decide if I liked Nicole Kidman's portrayal. I did like Aaron Eckhart as Howie and I thought Miles Teller was spot-on as Jason. I thought it was unfortunate that Nat's (Dianne Wiest) and Izzy's (Tammy Blanchard) roles were so watered down in the movie. Maggie Gallagher and Laurel Ullman, who played these wonderful roles in Theatre Alliance's staged reading were soooo much better.

No comments: