Monday, September 20, 2010

According to Goodreads I've been reading A Prayer For Owen Meany for 28 days. 28 days?!?! It feels like I've been reading this book For Ever!

Several people I know have listed this book among their favorite books of all time. I borrowed the book from the library for this reason. I just began Chapter 8 last night, and I honestly don't get it. With each turn of a page I keep hoping why it's such a revered book will become clear.

Mallorie has suggested I return it and read the summary in SparkNotes. As tempting as that sounds, I simply can't do that. I've invested 28 days of my life with John Wheelwright and Owen Meany. It's now my mission to finish this book, and by the end of this month.

I'll only be slight perturbed if all I should have read was the last 5 pages.

2 comments:

The O'Brien Family said...

The movie "Simon Burch" was based on this book. I didn't "get" the movie, so hopefully, you'll have better luck with the book!

Bill said...

One of my favorite books of all time was written by John Irving. But it wasn't this one.