Saturday, August 07, 2010

A Night At The Theatre

Last night I had the privilege of watching Mahalia! The Mahalia Jackson Musical, at Open Space Cafe Theatre. The show was directed by my good friend Robin T. Rich McGhie and I had worked with half the cast on Fences. In truth, when I found out Hayden Crawford was in this show I knew I had to see it, so I volunteered to be a host.

Pre-show I spent silently freaking out. It was my first time hosting and I was extremely nervous. The show was sold out which meant reservations cards on every single table! I rushed to fold programs, add inserts, fill and light the table candles, and create a seating chart cheatsheet. The house finally opened and I was relieved that there was no extensive line of folks waiting to be shown to their tables. I began to relax and found that I enjoyed hosting.

Robin's daughter, Akenya, played young Mahalia. The last time I saw Akenya on stage was in 2005 when she played an orphan in KLT's production of Annie. I must say I was extremely impressed with how much she as grown as an actress and singer. She had such a presence on stage! I caught myself beaming as if she were my daughter.

As Aunt Duke, Michelle White, Parisenne as we called her during Honk!, was once again a pleasure to watch. She has a great knack for comic timing. Woodrow Bumbry was sly as Thomas A. Dorsey and his performance made me smile. Jonathan D. Whitfield, who was new to me, played Cousin Fred and other minor roles. Hayden Crawford played the blind James Herbert Francis and I was impressed with his commitment to that character. Hayden also played Dr. Martin Luther King. I enjoyed seeing Hayden play a more serious role.

The remaining cast were absolutely outstanding. Cynthia Kelly played Mildred Falls and she was just delightful to watch. LaShon Hill played Mahalia and her voice was simply breathtaking.

While the pacing suffered in a few scenes, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. The gospel number heading into intermission was rousting and unforgettable. LaShon Hill had the entire audience on its feet and in the palm of her hand.

No comments: