Monday, July 12, 2010

Spacing Rehearsal

I was extremely nervous about tonight's rehearsal. Not only was it our first spacing rehearsal (I had crossed my fingers that all the artwork was installed as promised) but Steven and Pat would be watching. True, the performance would fit the "theatrical, song, dance" clause in our contract, but it was a far cry from the Food Court video Steven had initially sent us.

I arrived and our participants were already A-weema-weh, a-weema-weh through the gallery. I greeted Steven and Pat as Cheri and the gang moved into formation and began the "The Way You Make Me Feel" dance number. My nerves increased and I took barely a breath. The dancing was the part Steven had been hesitant. As the group broke away and started the "Funk Soul Brother" piece I heard Pat giggle. I stole a glance her way and saw that she was smiling. I cautiously glanced at Steven and he too was grinning! A couple of the SECCA architects and at least one of the artists had also gathered and were grooving to our music. They all loved the "Over The Rainbow" finale.

My nerves immediately disappeared. I knew that if these few were thoroughly enjoying the performance, the Grand Reopening crowd would too.

No comments: