Monday, August 10, 2009

A Shark No More!

For most of Mallorie's life the two teeth that flank most people's front teeth were located directly behind hers. It was a freaky thing to see on a human being, so her classmates nicknamed her Shark.

Several dentists and orthodontist advised there was nothing that could be done. She either needed to live with it, or have them pulled. The fact that they were permanent teeth didn't matter to them. On April 7, 2006, a last ditch effort, I took her to Chermack and Hanson. Dr. Hanson was the only one willing to take on the challenge. For an hour he talked to me about Mallorie's teeth, showed me examples of how he had helped other unusual cases, and answered all questions I posed.

Twenty four months of braces turned into almost three and a half years. We went today to get them off.

Cade and I stayed with her and watched as the assistant clipped off each bracket and scrapped off the cement. When everything was off, Mallorie looked up at us and smiled. I couldn't help it, I cried a little. Her teeth are perfectly aligned. No more Shark.

Dr. Hanson will be using Mallorie as an example of the power of orthodontics. And I absolutely agree. It's the best damn money I've ever spent!

2 comments:

Bill said...

That's awesome. Yay, Mallorie!

christopher Laney said...

That's great. Nice to know there was one person out there willing to help.