Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Tonys - Live Blogging, (Well Sorta)

Okay. I just got home from the KLT board meeting. (Don't ask.) So, thanks to my Time Warner DVR, I can rewind and watch from the beginning. So, here goes -

Opening Numbers
Billy Elliot. Who is that signing? Oh, it's Elton John. Dang, it's the Tonys for goodness sake. Can't they get the sound worked out? Where's the other Billy?

West Side Story - problems with mikes again. Come on. Oh, a West Side Story / Guys and Dolls mash up.

OMG! Is that Brett Michaels? Poison. On the Tonys. Who would ever have thought? Hahahaha Did Brett Michaels just get clocked by the set? His cowboy hat is on stage!

Oh, a Pal Joey and Next to Normal mash up. I'm just not impressed with Stockard.

Shrek! Absolutely let your Freak Flag Fly! (I loved this number in the show!)

Would you expect anything less than Dolly Parton singing 9 to 5?

Liza Minelli. Again, not impressed.

Hair. Oh, they really do have fabulous costumes. (Way to go Michael!) Excellent song to get the audience on their feet.

Okay, fast forwarding - still not "live" yet.

Shiny suit, Neil. OMG! A great joke about Brett! Mallorie and I are laughing our butts off!

First award of the night, Best Performance by a featured actor in a play. Dang. I so wanted John Glover to win! Awww, Roger thanked his 98 year old mother...

Fast forwarding....fast forwarding through the Shrek number. (I saw on Broadway.)

I'm laughing my butt off....James Gandalofini you are too funny! That was hilarious!

Second award, Best Performance by a featured actress in a play. Yes! The 5th win for Angela Lansbury. I got that one right!

Fast forwarding through Mama Mia...through commericals....almost "live".

Smell and sniff? Mary Poppins? Eeewwww.

Best Book went to Billy Elliot and best orignal Score went to Next to Normal. I didn't get these right either. Best orchestration also went to Next to Normal. Again, I missed.

Who is this? Oh, Lin something something from In The Heights. Okay, fast forwarding...still not "live". I'm close though.

Best Direction of a Play. Oh, I am so glad his double nomination didn't hurt. Yes! I got this one right. He definitely deserved to win for God of Carnage.

Best Direction of a Musical. Excellent. Stephen also deserves this win. (And another one I got right!) Thank you so very much, Stephen for thanking the crew! Very classy sentiment.

This is exactly what you'd expect from a show called Rock of Ages. I saw all these cats in the 80's.

Liza Minelli, of course, would win. And here I thought he was gonna had her a kleenex.

Oh man, look at the dress Marcia has on. She looks absolutely beautiful!

Sound! What's up with the sound? Oh, good. They gave him a hand mike.

Okay, I'm finally live! (Crap, this now means I have to actually sit through the commercials.)

9:28 - Oh, wait. What's this? Best orchestration was a tie? Well, then I got it right with Billy Elliot. And I got best choreography right with Billy Elliot.

9:33 - Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical. Drat. I really hoped that Christopher Seiber would have won. (Wow, she really has big boobs!)

9:35 - Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical. Missed this one too.

9:37 - Yes, ladies and gentleman, that is Princess Leia!
Again with the sound problems....
Thanks again, Ben, for making a copy of the Next to Normal CD. I can't wait to listen to it!

9:44 - Oh, I almost forgot Neil was hosting. Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play. No surprise there. I knew Geoffrey would win.

9:49 - Memorials. Okay, let's remember there are folks at home who are watching. We can't see the screen when you focus on the chorus.

9:57 - Design awards. I missed Best Lighting Design of a Play and of a Musical. I did get the Best Costume Design. I love that Tim Hatley wore a green shirt and tie! I got Best Sound Design of a Play but missed the Musical.

Best Lead Actress in a Play. Frank, let's get on with it please. Yes!!!! All is right in the world! Go Marcia!

10:14 - Man, I wish I could fast forward. How many times have I seen Legally Blonde now? This number makes it one too many!

10:17 - Best Revival of a Play goes to The Norman Conquests. (I can't believe I'm actually upset Godot didn't win.)

10:19 - Best Play. Okay, I'm done with my Hooray dance. God of Carnage! I am so very glad this won, and I'm thrilled I got to see it on Broadway. (Who has culture now, huh? I picked this show to see!)

10:30 - Lifetime Acheivement. I am in a pool for how long his speech is. I said 4 minutes. Let's see if I nail it. Nope, they cut him off!

Way to go Hair for Best Revival of a Musical! Hell yes - Peace now, freedom now, Equality now!

During the commercial I checked my prediction count - 13 correct!

10:48 - I love David Hyde Pierce. Best Actress in a Musical goes to Alice Ripley. I'm not at all surprised. I did figure she's win. I was just hoping that Sutton would go home with the award. Okay, I'm already bored with Alice's acceptance speech.

10:50 - Best Actor in a Musical goes...to the Billys! 3 speechless boys...maybe if they danced? Oh, they are so cute!

10"57 - Mallorie says I perfectly timed my cough to go along with Jersey Boys music. Lol, I wish I was that good!

11:00 - Here we go. Best Musical goes to Billy Elliot. Very nice shout out, Sir Elton, to Next to Normal.

11:03 - Neil Patrick sings. What a treat! Lol. Angela and Poison! Who wrote this closing song? It's hysterical!

So I believe, if I've calculated correctly, I'm 15 out of 26. (Good, but maybe I shouldn't rush out and get a lottery ticket!)

No comments: