Friday, March 28, 2008

A New Career For Me?

I'm excited to tell you that I started a new "job". Yesterday I worked as a professional stagehand, for the IATSE Union, Local 635. The call was at the Stevens Center for The Piedmont Opera, loading in for Die Fledermaus.

Initially I was a bit intimidated. I didn't have a crescent wrench (who would have thought?) and within the first 15 minutes, it was obvious I needed one. As one of only two women on the job, and the only newbie, I was concerned about asking one of the guys for a tool. I didn't want anyone picking on me or thinking of me as an inexperienced girly girl. (After all, I did purchase good gloves to protect my manicured nails.) To my delight, one of the guys saw my distress and offered his wrench. I can now guarantee the railing on the back staircase is secure.

As time wore on, I became a little more comfortable. In working with community theatres, I am accustomed to loading in and striking sets. So I was able to look like I knew what I was doing as I moved flats and doors and unloaded set pieces. Even though I was "green" I apparently impressed the steward. He called me back for the second call of the day, and gave me a special assignment - coordinate the unloading of the props.

Even though stagehands refer to themselves as gorillas, they do look out for each other. No one is left alone to move a flat that is too heavy or difficult to control. It's all about teamwork, and the gorillas accepted me after they realized I wasn't afraid of manual labor. It wasn't back-breaking work, so I'm not sore today. I did injury myself yesterday. I bruised my thumb beating up Doris' headstone - at rehearsal.

Because I am not (yet) a card carrying Local member, the work won't be regular, and that's okay with me. While yesterday's work was actually kinda fun, I've heard that working at the LJVM is akin to being a roadie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sharing time with the IATSE locals. If you end up getting your card, you can share notes with Andy, as this is his local, too, I think, unless he's transferred to the DC local.

Bill