Monday, March 03, 2008

A Book Report

I just finished Zoe Heller's What Was She Thinking? [Notes On A Scandal]. This was another book I wanted to read before I saw the movie. I should have saved myself the trouble, and just rented the DVD.

The book did not captivate me like I thought it would. I guess I was thinking the story would be more sensational, like a Mary Kay Letourneau read. The book actually centers around the friendship between two teachers: Sheba is having an affair with her 15 year old student, and Barbara is a spinster obsessed with Sheba. While the characters are very well developed, I just found the book very boring.

So boring, in fact, that I'm not sure I want to trouble myself with renting the DVD. Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench play Sheba and Barbara respectively, and both are outstanding actresses. I'm just not sure I want to waste my time.

No comments: