Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Kindergarten, Day Two

After yesterday's tense moments, I suggested to Allan that we should just have Cade ride the bus to and from school. I told Allan that we needed to establish a bus routine with Cade and that, maybe later, he could occasionally pick Cade up from school. Thankfully Allan agreed.

So this morning, at some ungodly hour, Cade and I waited at the bus stop. I sat on the ground and he sat in my lap. We watched as cars and trucks drove past and we'd discuss the color and the make of the car. I'd ask him where he thought the people were going so early in the morning. We had a very nice conversation. The bus came and he got on and sat in the front seat. I waved to him as the bus drove off and felt the lump in my throat.

I was piddling around the house when I remembered that Mallorie had an ortho appointment and needed to be picked up from high school at 3pm. Cade's bus schedule said he would be arriving home between 2:45p and 3:10p. It was already 2:30p so I decided to wait at the bus stop in the car. Once Cade got off the bus, we could immediately head over to get Mallorie.

As I was backing out of the driveway, who should I see running down our cul-de-sac? Yep, it was Cade. So much for yesterday's assurances that bus drivers don't let kindergartners off without an adult present.

No comments: