Friday, March 16, 2007

Judging Books by the Cover

Okay, I'll admit it. I do judge books based on the attractiveness of their covers. This doesn't make me a bad person, does it? I mean, I recognize that I could be missing some really good books simply due to a lack of pretty packaging. So, when I was at The Strand in New York, after perusing 3 of the 18 miles they claim to have in books, I decided to buy a plain book. Since the book was only $1.00, I knew I'd potentially gain much more than I would loose. The book I selected is a hardback book, blue with green binding. The title, come together, was small; the lettering in plain gold.

I just finished the book, and I must say, it was pretty good.

Jack and Amy are two twentysomething singles living in London. Jack is an artist working part-time in a gallery and prowls the bars by night looking to score. Amy is a temp with dreams of becoming a fashion designer. When the two meet at a party, they spend the whole night talking. Jack starts out trying to seduce Amy into a casual fling, he ends up falling for her hard.

The book alternates he said-she said chapters. Although it's pretty predictable, there are some laugh out loud moments. Apparently the authors, Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Rees became a couple while writing the book.

No comments: