Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Who's at Your Door?

Guess who showed up at my door tonight? I know, you'll never guess. So I'll tell you. It was a sheriff. Yep, you read correctly.

Now, I'm not sure if you've ever had a police officer appear on your stoop, but several things ran, rapidly, through my mind as I was opening the door and listening to the sheriff ask for me.

"I'm going to jail?!!"
You see, I got a speeding ticket in September, so my first thought was that he was there to arrest me. I thought about the kids being alone (should I use my one call for a babysitter or lawyer?) and that Cade would see me taken away in handcuffs. As I wrestled with whether or not to invite Mr. Sheriff in, I realized my court date wasn't until mid-December. So at least I wasn't going to be arrested for a speeding ticket...

"Allan is dead."
Aren't cops the ones who provide next of kin death notification? As my stomach started to fall, my attention turned to Cade who was standing right beside me. I did not want him to overhear the sheriff possibly telling me his father was dead. I then realized that it was only 6pm and Allan was scheduled to work until 7pm. Though not totally out of the realm of possibility, I figured Allan's demise wasn't the reason for the cop's visit.

"Someone has broken into the neighbors' houses, or, there is a serial killer on the loose."
Since either of these thoughts provided the most likely reason why Mr. Officer was standing at my door taking out some paperwork, I decided to remain as calm and appear as helpful as I could. So I mustered up the sweetest smile....

Then he shows me his paperwork and explains that I am being subpoenaed to appear in court in two weeks. Subpoenaed? SUBPOENAED? WTF?!?!

While my smile certainly disappeared, I did remember my manners and thanked the officer. I took the paperwork into the living room and quickly scanned. Apparently I am being called to testify in someone else's!! divorce case.....

No comments: