Friday, June 13, 2014

The Art of the Brick

 Ken, Samuel and I decided to visit the Lego Museum today. I wish Cade had been with us. I think he would have liked it too.

This is my favorite Klimt painting, The Kiss.
This is a 1:1 scale made with 18, 893 Lego bricks.


This is a 1:1 scale with 3,991 Lego bricks.


Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night
3,493 bricks


75,450 Legos!

(I forgot to get the number of Legos used.)


Degas' Little Dancer of Fourteen Years
Only 7,100 pieces.


An Artist's View
"Where does the real world end and the artist's world begin? Sometimes when I'm working, it can feel like the truth lies in the work itself and my surroundings fade away to grey."
11,561 Legos were used in this installation. It includes the checkerboard flooring!


Dinosaur Skeleton
"This is one of the largest sculptures I have ever made. It took an entire summer to build and nearly drive me crazy trying to make it work. After seeing so many kids flock to my first solo exhibition, I wanted to give back something and create a sculpture that children would enjoy. What is better than a dinosaur?"
80,020 pieces


Red Umbrella
4,628 pieces were used.


Flip Flops
Only 760 pieces were used in this.


At the end of the journey, we were instructed to write our names on a brick and add it to the wall. When the New York show is over Nathan Sawaya will use them in a new one-of-a-kind sculpture. 


Here's one he did previously.


All in all it was a very interesting exhibit. I absolutely admire the creativity it takes to build something out of Legos. Cade can get imaginative. I usually just follow the instructions that come with the Lego sets. 

No comments: