Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Book Report, "You"

"A chilling account of unrelenting passion, Caroline Kepnes's You is a perversely romantic thriller that's more dangerously clever than any you've read before."

I've read very few books that actually live up to the teaser hype. This book is one of the rare exceptions.

Boy meets girl in his bookstore. Girl flirts with boy and boy stalks girl. And I'm not talking the kind of innocent FB stalking we all occassionally partake. This is the watching from across the street, lying to the super to gain entrance in the apartment, hack into email and Twitter accounts, and steal the cell phone kind of stalking.

And yet, as creepy as Joe is, I found myself rooting for him! Trust me, no one is more surprised than me and I'll admit that I'm slightly bothered by what that might say about me.

Yes, there were things that I had to suspend my disbelief - the cell phone being the biggest hurtle, though Kepnes trys really hard to justify it. I didn't particularily find anything at all likeable about Beck, the object of Joe's obsession. And let's not get into the typical horror moviesque ending. (I mean, come on. Really?)

But I've got to tell you, as far as psychological thrillers go, this one is very different, fresh even. Joe is one of the most complex characters I've ever read. He's intense, creepy, a complete psycho and yet he has insecuries that we all can relate.

(I received an ARC of this from NetGalley for this review.)


No comments: