Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Meeting with SECCA

This morning Amy and I met with Steven Matijcio to discuss the improv piece that Paper Lantern will be producing for SECCA's reopening.

We were first treated to a powerpoint presentation detailing the two exhibits. Look Again is an eclectic collection of pieces with a "things aren't always what they seem" philosophy. Glassware is a collection of contemporary jewelry. I'm not usually an "art" person but Steven spoke with such a passion that I'm actually excited about seeing these exhibits.

Next we took a tour of the facility. The roof replacement is the bulk of the renovation. There are new walls, new flooring and lots of new paint. While not complete, the progress is exciting.

Lastly Amy and I listened to their ideas with regards to our performance. There are no real rules, which will allow our musical director a certain amount of creative freedom. They would like to use the performance to drive the crowd to a central point for opening remarks by their Executive Director, and as a distraction for a performance artist to vacate her particular piece. The performance shouldn't last more than 15 minutes.

It was a great meeting, and I think this project will be fairly easy. I just have to hire the right musical director and choreographer. (And I have two very talented folks in mind.)

No comments: