Friday, February 12, 2010

A Book Report

Party Girl, a novel by former celebrity journalist Anna David, is one of the numerous books Myla gave me for Christmas. I'm not sure where Myla picked it up, but I am glad she did.

I've never been a "party girl" nor have I ever been addicted to drugs. Anna paints a very clear portrait of Amelia Stone's life and pretty soon you're on the same roller coaster ride. Like Amelia, I bought into the philosophies of Pledges, the rehab center Amelia checks herself in to. Among other things Amelia learns "Resenting someone is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." That and, expectations are resentments under construction.

I've been aware for quite some time that I'm easily pissed and/or disappointed because my expectations tend to be so much. Making the journey with Amelia helped me even more with my personal focus.

No comments: