Sunday, February 07, 2010

Auditions, V-Day 2010

I've been in 3 productions of Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monologues. I was first introduced to the show when I was part of the Cunt Chorus in the Community Theatre of Greensboro's production back in 2004. Family Services sponsored V-Day Winston-Salem, and I participated in two of their productions. I've reclaimed cunt, spoken about my short skirt and talked about his crooked braid. Last year Family Services sponsored A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant and A Prayer and I was honored to perform two pieces for that production.

Because V-Day is a cause I support I was initially saddened to learn that Family Services would not be producing V-Day Winston-Salem this year. When I received a Facebook notice that Sheri Masters and Jay Smith were going to direct The Vagina Monologues and A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant and A Prayer, respectively, for V-Day Greensboro, I jumped at the chance to be involved.

After requesting more details, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to audition since they were scheduled on our first night of tech for The Nerd. Luckily both were canceled due to the snow/ice. Auditions were rescheduled for yesterday.

Since we were both auditioning Charis and I rode together. Peg, one of my V-Day W-S castmates also came to audition, as did Liz (who I know from Honk!). The remaining auditionees, a handful of women and one man, were people I'd never met.

Auditions consisted of cold readings from TVM and MMRP. I knew most folks would read "Because He Liked To Look At It" so I went with "I Was There In The Room", a piece about the wonder of child birth. Charis did an outstanding job with her audition, "Blueberry Hill" from MMRP. Peg rocked her audition, as did another lady who finally performed "The Flood" the way it should be.

While I was surprised at the lack of turnout (less than a dozen), Sheri and Jay have a great pool of talent if they use everyone that showed up yesterday. I'm hoping all my conflicts (remaining The Nerd performances, Trials and Tribulations rehearsals and SETC Convention) won't prevent me from being in the cast. I should know something by the end of the week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to see you too, and your audition killed. You were fantastic as always. I'm really looking forward to (hopefully) working with you again! Thanks so much for Facebooking (when did that become a verb?) the audition notice!
Peg