Sunday, May 17, 2009

August: Osage County, My Review

Right on the side of the theatre, in big bold words, it says Best Play and Pulitzer Prize winning. Many people who have seen the show before me have loved it. So I went in with some pretty incredible expectations.

The set exceeded my expectations. Pictures just do not do it justice. You have to see the set live to really appreciate it. It's 3 levels and it is absolutely stunning. There is no doubt why it was last year's Tony winner.

Act One started out on an excellent foot. John Cullum, as patriarch Beverly Weston, delivered a very impressive drunken exposition monologue. Elizabeth Ashley, as Mattie Fae, looked and spoke like a garishly made up man in drag. At some point during the arrival of the Weston family, I caught myself falling asleep. I don't believe I was ever asleep long enough to snore, but it was my head falling forward that woke me up. Unfortunately, I was awake to see Estelle Parson's entrance, as the pill popping Violet Weston. The last thing I want to see, on Broadway no less, is an actor obviously acting to appear under the influence of drugs. She was terrible! Equally as bad was Sally Murphy as Ivey. Her weird voice inflections reminded me of nails on a chalkboard.

After the first intermission was over, I was a bit hesitant to return. I was worried about falling asleep and was not looking forward to Estelle Parson's or Sally Murphy's performances. I needn't have, other family members were spotlighted. I enjoyed watching Mariann Mayberry and Brian Kerwin, who played Karen Weston and Steve, her fiance. I was also impressed with Anne Berkowitz, who held her own as teenager Jean Fordham. But it was Johanna Day's portrayal of Barbara, the eldest daughter, that had me absolutely riveted. It wasn't until the house lights came up for the second intermission that I realized I was even in a theatre! And I was wide awake!

The remainder of the show was outstandingly owned by Johanna Day. I had completely forgotten a family secret from reading the script, so I was just as shocked as the rest of the audience. I was even able to forgive Sally Murphy's whiney reveal moment because Johanna Day was that damn good.

No comments: