Friday, May 08, 2009

Where's Stanislavski When You Need Him?

I've been involved with community theatre for over 20 years. I've worked with many theatres in a variety of capacities. I've worked backstage and in the house; stage manager to concessions. I've performed on stage with "actors" from all walks of life and with as many degrees of theatrical knowledge, education and experience. I've been with SETC for over a year where I've worked college and professional auditions, observing the vast spectrum of talent. I've had the honor of conversing with college professors and professional company reps. As such, I've seen, heard about, and personally experienced "it all". Or so I thought.

Symptomatic of theatre is the "all about me" attitude, and yes, I anticipated occurrences because I've worked before with the few afflicted. But last night I was absolutely flabbergasted by a despicable and embarrassing display of ego I am aggrieved to have witnessed. An utter disregard of humanity ran undercurrent.

While some might agree that ego has it's place, the stage is certainly not one of those. As attributed to Stanislavski, an actor should "Love the art in yourself, not yourself in the art."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said. I agree completely. Egos should always be checked at the door in theatre. Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time! Sad how 'team effort' is highly underrated or achieved these days on the boards. My sympathies to you.

Bill said...

I'm perfectly glad that I wasn't where you were last night. I don't have much patience for that kind of thing at all. I'll bet there's an interesting story there, though.