Tuesday, March 03, 2009

A Book Report

I am slowly working my way through Neil LaBute plays. I was able to borrow The Distance From Here from the library, so I took it off my amazon.com wishlist. I finished it today.

The play centers around a slacker teenager, Darrell, his girlfriend Jenn and Tim, his best friend. Darrell is growing up in one of those "going nowhere, destined to repeat the cycle" families. Darrell's mother, Cammie, largely ignores him, as does his stepfather. His stepsister has a baby, but is incapable of caring for him. She consistently allows the baby to cry.

Upon completing the book, my initial reaction was negative. I did not like it at all. But as I've allowed it to digest, I realize how honest of a piece it really is.

The play has it's shocking moments. It is a LaBute play after all. These moments both disgusted and fascinated me, which is a true measure of his extraordinary writing. These two moments, to me, so unfathomable and yet so very honest and true in their presentation. The Distance From Here is a must read.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Which other ones have you read/seen? We recently saw a new one up in WV, and bought another script up in NYC. And have seen productions of "reasons to be pretty" twice. Interesting at the minimum.