Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I'm Done RENTing

Last night Ken and I saw the 473rd national tour of Rent. Ok, I'm kidding about the 473rd tour...but it has been playing on Broadway and touring for 10+ years.

I first fell in love with Rent strictly by listening to the cast CD, which I had been given for Christmas. The CD became a permanent fixture in my car. I loved the music, I loved the play (at least what I read about it from the CD booklet), and I loved the story behind the play.

The show came to Greensboro in December 1997, and I was there. In the balcony, singing my heart out. The show was absolutely wonderful! I bought a program and a "Seasons of Love" ornament. I was a true Renthead!

In October 2003, my best friend scored free tickets when Rent returned to Greensboro. He had never seen the show, but he was very familiar with the music. He loved the show, I was lukewarm. I hated the actor who played Roger. He was whimpy and a bit effaminate, and well, he just didn't "Light My Candle".

I've seen the movie several times; twice at the theater and several times on DVD with Mallorie. I loved that the original cast did the movie. I loved Traci as the new Maureen. I hated Rosario as the new Mimi. She just wasn't gritty enough.

When Ken and I were planning our "culture" for this year, I asked him to include tickets to see Rent. So, off we went to the Ovens Auditorium in Charlotte. I hate to admit this, but I was really bored with the production. I don't know whether it was because I've seen it so many times, or whether I just wasn't keen on the cast. Again, I didn't like the actor playing Roger. He was from the London cast and I just couldn't get past Roger sounding British.

The production was good. I just realized that I wasn't into it. I still love the music, I just don't have any desire to see the show anymore. There are too many other shows that I'd like to see.

No comments: