Saturday, September 19, 2015

A (Partial) Night At The Theatre

Chad had been very kind to allow me to use one of his comp tickets to come to see him in Twin City Stage's production of Is He Dead? 

I'd planned to attend on opening night and to participate in the champaign reception that only occurs on opening night. My boss, my co-workers, my variable instructors, my trained observers, everyone knew I was going to the theatre and needed to leave work by 7p.

While not part of my job description, I am also a counselor, psychologist and bartendar rolled into one. So when one of my newhires had to speak to me, I asked her to see me before her dinner break. I knew this would keep me from the champaign, but I didn't want a newhire going postal.

At 7:30p, with the newhire crisis diverted, I was packing up my office and signing out of various work applications. At this time I could still make the curtain. Alas, my phone rang and without thinking I answered it. A supervisor had to speak to me about a newhire who was days away from coming out of probation. Resigned to the fact that I wouldn't make the show before 8p the supe came to see me.

Ultimately I didn't get out of work until a bit after 9p. I headed to the theatre and was lucky to get there right at intermission. I can tell you that the second act was great and the audience loved the show.

No comments: