Saturday, October 29, 2011

We Will Rock You! The Music of Queen

Bridget is a big Queen fan. When she found out the Winston-Salem Symphony was performing Queen songs as part of their Plugged-In Pops series she asked if I wanted to go.

I'm not a big fan of the symphony. I rank the symphony right up there with opera. Both events are usually stuffy and overly long.

I used to go roller skating every Friday night and at least once, the rink DJ would play "Another One Bites The Dust." That's a good roller skating song. "Bohemian Rhapsody" is not. So, while I know who Queen was, I was not a huge fan.

Still, I knew if I didn't go with Bridget she wouldn't go at all. As much as I was not looking forward to it, I did agree.

Honestly, I had a much better time than I anticipated.

I thought it would just be the symphony playing Queen's music. I was pleasantly surprised to learn they brought in a guest artist, Michael Shotton, who was lead vocals. He actually sang along with the symphony!

I was also surprised to learn that I knew more Queen songs than I thought: "Under Pressure", "Somebody To Love", "We Are The Champions" were all song I recognized and sang along with. I never realized they were performed by Queen.

Utlimately Bridget and I had a really, really good time.

No comments: