Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Book Report

Completing babyville also means I've read all of Jane Green's novels. I must say that I like her earlier books much better.

I enjoyed Julia's and Maeve's stories, but it was Sam's, in the last third of the book, that was the most poignant. Exhausted and insecure following the birth of her son, Sam becomes enamored with a new friend's husband. Convinced she is married to the wrong man, she fantasizes about Dan - if she doesn't see any red cars for the next 20 seconds, she is sure Dan loves her. While comical, I recognized Sam's decent into postpartum depression. There was no friend's husband for me to swoon over, but I struggled with my own bout of postpartum depression after the birth of Cade. Sam and I both had friends who suggested seeing someone, but like Sam, I discounted their concern. Luckily Sam realizes the worth of her marriage. I wasn't necessarily as lucky.

Jane Green owns the chick lit genre, and with very good reason. If you haven't experienced her yet, pick up one, or all, of her 11 books.

No comments: